BID Group is a North American leader in the design and manufacturing of equipment for wood processing mills. The company primarily serves the North American market, in addition to serving international clients. BID Group offers the most comprehensive range of products on the market. Producing everything from mechanical equipment, PLCs and optimization systems equipped with digital vision scanners. Our products also deliver fully automated production lines. The company has over 1500 employees working in our divisions located across North America.
Under the supervision of the Machine Shop Foreman, the Plasma Operator is responsible for cuts, trims, or scarfs metal objects with arc-cutting equipment to dimensions, contour, or bevel specified by blueprints, work order, or layout by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Positions work piece onto table or into fixture
- Selects carbon or metal-coated carbon electrode, gas nozzle, electric current, and gas pressure, according to thickness and type of metal, data on charts, or record of previous runs.
- Inserts electrode and gas nozzle into holder and connects hose from holder to compressed gas supply.
- Turns knobs to select amperage.
- Turns lever to adjust jet of gas to blow away molten metal.
- Strikes arc and guides electrode along lines to cut (melt) through metal.
- Cuts off chips or spurs and burns out cracks and holes.
- Cleans and scrapes parts and cuts up scrap.
- Performs first-piece and in-process inspection by checking material thickness and dimensions of part per blueprint using calipers, tape measure and calculator. Inspects parts according to C=O chart. Completes inspection form.
- Cleans burn table and performs minor preventative maintenance such as checking coolant levels and gases and changing or adjusting them as needed. Changes oxyfuel tips. Completes maintenance log.
- Communicate and work with assistant Plant Manager to maintain efficiencies, detect and report defective material or questionable conditions.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Have good physical abilities
- Have good knowledge of sheet metal
- Master the use of measuring tools
- Master blueprint reading and have a good 3D vision
- Demonstrate autonomy, precision, thoroughness, resourcefulness and reliability
- Be able to adapt to new priorities
If interested in working with us, please send your resume to HR.USA@BIDGROUP.CA and reference the posting name. We encourage graduates to apply for this position. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
- Fabricator, welder, millwright, machinist, pipe fitter, iron worker, carpenter, electrician;
- Heavy duty mechanic, crane operator, heavy equipment operator, alignment technician;
- Engineer, engineering tech, PLC programmer, mechanical designer/technologist